Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Cartoon Recap

When did cartoons stop being taken for cartoons and more like actual films. I mean, the quality of cartoons have increased dramatically over the ages, and I'm very greatful of this. This little cartoon will show you just how far we've come (in more than one area). I should warn, this is an very old cartoon and has some, shall we say, Racial Stereotyping.



Now moving ahead just a bit we'll come to the less controversial, hotter, and more melodic cartoons where the characters had a bit more depth and people love them. Hot.



And now we have the works of Pixar that are bringing cartoons to a whole new level.



Seriously, Cars and The Incredibles were both quality movies. The reason for this little recap? I saw a review of Cars and the reviewer gave it only moderate scores because, get this, shallow depth of character. ITS A CARTOON!!! They're not shallow, they're 2D! Seriously, the review was talking about your 'typical hot headed athlete, grumpy cop, and out of place beautiful laywer.' Since when did we hold cartoons up to the same level as The English Patient (never saw). People, Cartoons are for kids... we are just lucky they are making them good enough that everyone else can enjoy now as well. And as of late, I'm glad Pixar picked up the slack from Disney who's really sucked it up since oh.... Lion King.

2 comments:

C_thegreat said...

I watched that first cartoon growing up. My g'rents have it on video, and a few others similar (on compliation movies, so they aren't all racist...) I've actually seen it tons of times.
I turned out just fine. I don't think I ever took them to be making comments on real life, the same way that cartoons can hit each other with anvils and mallets and still live...
Still, now that I'm grown up, I am amazed at how telling they are of mainstream society's values. It's pretty sad

BUT--don't knock that animation. I think it is amazing, and especially considering the level of artistry those took. They don't make cartoons like they used to.
AND--Hurcules was both great and after lion king.

Why did they make Sally a Porsche instead of a Mustang? I think they missed a musical opportunity

I have more cartoon opinions, but mostly without point.

~c

Mr. Jones-Smith-Miller-Sanchez said...

We talked a lot about those types of racial and propaganda cartoons from the early to mid 20th century in my history class that concludes tomorrow. We were some racist motherfuckers in the US history. Racist Supremacists. I'm glad to be living in the now.