Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Money doesn't grow on trees you know

So the Washington Post had an article entitled: "How Else Would You Spend $320 Billion?"

As with most news articles, it is a little misleading... even if not intentional. The basic premise is that we've spent $320 Billion in Iraq*... That's $320,000,000,000. According to my own math (which might be correct) if you counted 1 number every second, it would take you 10,175 years to count to 320 Billion. Anyways the article talks about other ways that money could have been spent. The two biggest points that me missed are: a) that our national deficit is something like $8.3 Trillion so Iraq counts for like 4%. b) we didn't really have the money in the first place, we had to raise our debt ceiling in order to spend that. But all that aside it is still a heck of a lot of money spent on a incredibly questionable war, and it does make my more liberal half wonder what had happened if a president had borrowed all that money to fix problems here rather than well... this mess.

I'm not going to bother retyping the article, if anyone is interested I'm sure you'll click the link. Basically a 3-10 billion here and there, covering health care, education, research and technology and security would sure alleviate quite a few "issues."

In other money news, for those of you who haven't heard, my good friend Bill Gates has announced his pseudo-retirement. He's slowly pulling out of Microsoft and going to devote himself to his philanthropic work. So that's what the richest man in the world is doing... what about the rest of those richie-riches? How about Warren Buffett, the second richest man in the world? What's he doing? Giving away all his money to Bill Gates - Holy Crap. $30 Million to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Ok, so good news. Its the year 2010 and we have a new president, Iraq is fixed, and Bill Gates has cured world hunger, education, cancer and AIDS... And YOU just won the lottery. Provided you already paid all loans for your family and friends, what are you going to do with your money?

Me? I'm buying a nice Digital Video Camera, Production Team, and the Crystal Ballroom in Stauton. Josh and I's movie-of-our-lives will finally be made.

*by the way people, it's pronounced eh-rack (like the "i" in pit) not I-Rack. Same for eh-Ran.

5 comments:

Scott said...

I'm going to make fun of you. For instance from this post:

"the two biggest points that me missed are..."

That "me" missed? Was this one posted from the perspective of Caveman Rob?

I think to make the heckling of Rob easier I'll create a hover balcony ala Waldorff and Statler and follow you around shouting my disapproval. I mean I won the lotto. I can do whatev.

- Scott

P.S. Two words. "Bat" "Cave".

Rob said...

Hey, so the M-key and the H-key are easy to confuse. I mean, if I was a knight it would only be one move away. I dare say I was close enough.

Scott said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Scott said...

*D'oh! Double post with a spelling mistake in it. Obscenities rang out. Let me tell you.

Edited original message:

Chess nerd alert!

Sure, your knight would have been close. But mine would have slid right across and hit the right key. MAD DRIFT!

- Scott

C_thegreat said...

Dude which camera?!! I have to know. I'm drooling over the Hard Drive camcorder, but we don't have Sony's in yet. Also, I'd like an High Def Hard Drive camcorder, so I think I need to wait some time.
I'm working in the DI section, so I'm loving getting to play around with them all day.
I just got my digital still camera today too. I went with the Sony W100, I'm pretty psyched.

~c