Friday, June 02, 2006

Post #350: Virtual Cyborgs

So I finished my book on "Matrix and Philosophy" and it was pretty interesting, and I feel like I could hold my own in an amature philosophical discussion. But in the book they also kept alluding to another movie released around the same time called eXistenZ. Both movies deal with the whole "What is reality?" concept. I liked the Matrix better of course, but eXistenZ was interesting as well. Doesn't have much of a chance mainstream, but its good for the cult movie crowd (I mean, William Dafoe is in it). Its all look video games plug straight into your mind and you can't tell the difference anymore and you don't know what's real and what's another scene of the video game and WHAT IS GOING ON???

I think its interesting because I can relate it back to the Wii (the new Nintendo). The whole goal of Nintendo is to get people to be more immersed into the game. Heck, and maybe let them get some exercise (DDR) because lets face it, girls don't really dig emmaciated gamer nerds... oh wait... crap. Well, besides Ro that is.

Also another point that was often brought up by the books was that the likelyhood of us being taken over by robots is a little far fetched. If you stop thinking about it from a Fiction standpoint and actually consider it--its much more likely that we're going to evolve into Cyborgs that are just part machine. Just evolve pacemakers and hearing aids and prosteics a little further and we're there. Check out the article on a hand being controlled by... human thought...

I have poison ivy on my belly... and my arm...
it itches.

and my face. that itches too.

2 comments:

Mr. Jones-Smith-Miller-Sanchez said...

Past spanish and many current deals with dreaming and an alternate reality. For example "Dokijote" (sp?) "Abre los ojos" or the other version "vanilla sky."

Another good alternate reality "a big machine" control is the movie "Equilibrium"
What is reality? Gotta love it.

Scott said...

Ok, I only got as far as when you referenced "William Dafoe." It's a well known fact (as I friggin' love this guy) that his name is Willem Dafoe. Willem. Roll it around on the tounge. Mmmm. Willem.

I have to go watch Boondock Saints again, thanks alot.

- Scott