Thursday, July 27, 2006

Broke as a Joke

First off, I don't really understand what that saying means... if you google "broke as a" it will show you that "joke" is clearly the only way to finish that statement, yet I have no idea why. ANYWAYS! Tomorrow I'm sending in my student loan request, which is good - cause I'm out of money. Thanks to Ro's recommendation I've taken to leaving my credit cards at home and going to work with ZERO access to cash. Which this is where going to the movies with Kyle tonight was interesting.

I went to the movies and met Wendy, the nice girl who takes money and give out tickets so you can see the movie of your choice. I started off by making small talk with Wendy because I was about to become a pain in the butt customer. I busted out my soccerball piggy bank (THANKS AMERICAN WATER) and dumped my money on the counter. Eight dollars for a movie ticket wasn't going to work, luckily I had my expired ISU ID on me which brought me down to $6.75. After seperating and counting out all my change I was about .36 cents short so I called Kyle who was on his way and told him my dilema. He assured me that he could cover my 36 cents which almost made up for him being late getting there (my best friend Phil is a much better date).

While waiting 15 minutes for Kyle and making small talk with Wendy there was a drastic turn of events. I found a mostly used $25 use-anywhere-gift-card-thingy in my wallet. So I called the number on the back to check the balance - SCORE! $2.39. I then paid for my ticket with the remainder of card and the change from my piggy bank. I am proud to say it was mostly silver too! As long as you count it by monetary value and not by number of coins. Did you know that Wendy gets free movie passes all the time and goes to the theatre in Edwardsville frequently. We also discussed the finer points of watching a movie in random sparatic bursts (as in like 10 mintues here, last ten minutes the next day, first 10 minutes the day after that, etc.) All in all, good times.
********************************

Zombie Trivia Question
Zombies are:
a) created via a voodoo ritual where in a bokor (dark voodoo priest) revives the dead.
b) the souls of the dead returned to haunt the living as often spoke of in Mideval folklore and has appeared in some way/shape/form in nearly all ancient civilizations.
c) the result of a virus which mutates the brain, freeing it from its dependance of oxygen and creates a being that is technically neither living, nor dead.
b) a myth.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Well I've thought about it and decided that "broke as a reststop toilet" also works. Or maybe "broke as the video games toward the back of the arcade." There's a lot of room for this simile to grow.

Anyway, I'd like to introduce you to the Coinstar concept. It counts your change and converts it into real money. With a small amount skimmed off the top. You could also go to a bank which will do it for free. Still, I'm sure Wendy was charmed. Not as much as if I'd been there... but she doesn't have me as a frame of reference so she's pretty satisfied as it is.

Oh and the answer to your question is A and C.

- Scott