Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Illinois: Tribe of Superior Men

So now you know the meaning of "Illinois." The word is Algonquin Indian for "tribe of superior men." I took a trip to the capital in Springfield this weekend. Yes Scott, Breyn and Tabitha. I was there again and didn't tell anyone. But I was spending quality time with my best friend and his wifey-to-be. So everyone is just going to have to deal with it. ANYWAYS! I learned a lot about our state and our capital. Most people know that our state bird is the cardinal, our Motto is "The Prairie State" and our flower is the violet. Want to know one thing that pisses me off though? Our state dance. Know what it is? I mean I could handle just about anything here. Swing would be awesome. Foxtrot, Waltz, Jitterbug, any of that is fine by me. But what is our state dance? THE FRICKIN' SQUARE DANCE! lame.

One final note... did everyone here know that we have a state dirt? I can't make this stuff up... I kid you not, our state soil is "Drummer-silty clay loam." I have the little informational card with Jessie White's signature on it that I picked up from the captial building in my hand right now. So now when you're walking around and see some Drummer-Silty Clay Loam... you can tell people, "Hey! That's our state dirt!"

7 comments:

Scott said...

Come on Rob. I expect more of you. Did you really think I was offended that you didn't visit me last time? You know I don't want to see you! And I surely don't want to cut into your 'being the third wheel' time. That would just be rude of me.

But did you know that we also have a state monster? That's right, the Tully Monster. It's a pretty lame name for a fossil. But don't let that decieve you, the monster himself is 19.5 cm of pure TERROR. Featuring a proboscis and eight small teeth of DEATH. He was the first in a long line of Illinois monsters dating right up to the present in the form of Oprah who also features a proboscis and an enhanced ability to force feed prey her own feces.

What a state!

- Scott

Anonymous said...

Hey Rob! I'm thinking about going to Springfield NEXT week...maybe we'll meet each other up there while you're "hiding out" from your other friends!

Actually, I had only contemplated making the actual drive until I learned all these fascinating facts about the state of Illinois, and now I MUST GO!! To think that in my 30 years I have WASTED the opportunities this state has for learning potential. How could I have not shown more interest in learning about this fascinating state? It's horrendous! I should be shot for not caring! And a state MONSTER? Oh, that's it, I'm so there.

And while I'm there, I'm gonna promote the hell outta AWR, and it's grand and glorious ideas. I've got to tell you Rob, you should have left us your address so we could continue to forward you our hate mail. On an enrollment I did last week, someone actually called us a "bunch of turds." It wouldn't have been quite as funny though until I thought about a 75-year old man writing the word "turds" on this form before returning it. Oh yeah, and he signed the form like he still wanted to be enrolled! Gotta love it.

Ahhhh....back to work.

~I spell it tErds

Anonymous said...

Rob... you are so utterly mistaken. Our state flower is the lily and the rose, our state grass is foie, our state dance is country line dancing, our state mineral is wood, our state animal is a bird and our state motto is "The Windy State". Get it right.

~Ro

Anonymous said...

Well, Ro, you might be talking about the Chicago area. People there do think they have a state of their own. The state flower of Illinois is the Native violet (somewhat of a weed). Rob, you forgot about the tree...the beautiful White oak.
When I was in the 5th grade I had to learn how to square dance. I went to a Catholic grade school (that should speak for itself). However, if you didn't get the moves right the nun would step on your foot. Just for fun, they made a walk about 5 miles, square dancing no less, called it a parade, to an amusement park and called it a picnic. Gotta love it.
Hope the job hunt is going well...I should know something this week.

-QB

P.S. Hi Jen, Kim, Freemama, Tim, Trevor and whoever I may have forgotten already!

Anonymous said...

I know you're busy with your job searching and all that jazz, but I must admit, I am more than a little disappointed that you didn't update. I just thought I would let you know. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who was saddened to see yesterdays post... and nothing more.

~Ro

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Ms. Ro. The least you could have done would have been to let your mom make the post. She seems to have a good sense of humor!

We need something to cheer us up here at AWR!!!

~Unknown

Anonymous said...

You are letting down your loyal bloggers. You don't even have a job any more and you can't find time to post some bit of useless information! What good are you!

Tabitha