Monday, February 21, 2005

To post or not to post...

Alright, it's debatable whether or not I have to post today. As many of you may or may not know, today is "President's Day!" What does that mean to me? I means that when I called my insurance company to yell at them because I recieved a bill for something that was supposedly taken care of, THEY WERE CLOSED! I then had to call mom to find out what was so special about today, the 3rd monday of Feburary, that would lead to my insurance agency being closed. Pfft... President's day.

So what is president's day, you may ask? Is it a time when we should sit back and reflect how awesome our president is, as well as all the presidents of years past? Nah, it's just ol' Georgie Washington's Birthday. So it's just a tradition that pretty much started as "Hey, it's the President's Birthday" but then they kept celebrating it even after he left office, 'cause seriously, what did John Adams I ever really do? I mean, besides getting his kid into power after him (Hooray for Politics).

So today is really just George Washington's Birthday, and so we should celebrate it as such. I say go make a cake, blow up some ballons and sing Happy Birthday Georgie!

Here's some Fun Facts to share around the dinner table tonight:
  • George Washington started school when he was six years old. He left school at 15 to become a surveyor because his mother couldn't afford to send him to college.
  • When George Washington was elected President, there was a king in France, a czarina in Russia, an emperor in China, and a shogun in Japan. Only the office of President remains.
  • He bred hound dogs that he treated like members of the family. He gave some of them unusual names: Tarter, True Love, and Sweet Lips.
  • At his inauguration, Washington had only one tooth. At various times he wore dentures made of human or animal teeth, ivory or lead -- never wood. And because of this his inauguration speech was 183 words long and took 90 seconds to read.
  • The six white horses in Washington's stables had their teeth brushed every morning on Washington's orders.
  • Although he helped plan the nation's new capital city that was named for him, he never lived there. New York City and, later, Philadelphia were the nation's capitals while he was president.
  • In October 1789, he proclaimed November 26, 1789 as Thanksgiving Day
  • Washington refused to wear a powdered wig, which was high fashion in the late 1700s. Instead, he powdered his red-brown hair and ties it in a short braid down his back.
  • He was a very loud snorer.

6 comments:

Scott said...

Despite the idea that a man who would name a hound dog "sweet lips" ran our country, I have to say he was a pretty good president. I mean, they wanted him to be king and he said "No, no. I'm all about freedom...blah blah blah...I make people sick with my patriotic rhetoric. Blah blah blah" It took him two and a half hours, but he said it.

That's a good president in my book.


- Scott

Anonymous said...

George Washington is my homeboy.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Just think...if Kerry had kept his speeches, or at least his answers, at 183 words or less, he might have been elected! Or...maybe not.

I think it's worth a shot for a candidate to run solely on the platform of shorter speeches. I'd take that bid...hmm...I can see it now..."Tim Ryder: Tall of Stature, Short of Wind"

I'd totally win the ADD demographic, but sadly, they'd go to vote and then get distracted by a butterfly or something.

Anonymous said...

Awesome facts. Yes you should post. Even though should you get the job at CMS you'll enjoy the fact that the state gets everything off (we get Lincoln's birthday AND President's day!). Good luck with all that.

Tabitha

Anonymous said...

Well, Mr. Rob you are not the only one who thinks Presidents Day is not a big deal. Scanman hates that holiday and so do I. President Day isn't the only holiday that should be eliminated Columbus Day also (big deal). Both of us agree that all 12 calender months needs a holdiday. February, March, April, June, August and October move Veterans day from November to October we already have Thanksgiving.

Freemama & Scanman
(Don't forget Smallville tomorrow night)

Anonymous said...

Well, it is currently 2:14 on a Wednesday. I am procrastinating doing homework... only what I do best. What better way to procrastinate than by commenting on Rob's blog. Sadly, someone is slacking and HAS NOT updated yet. This is your one and only job for the day. Come on.