Monday, July 11, 2005

The Job Lowdown

I've picked up something at "The Buy" that I don't recall having noticed at most of my other places of employment. Its strange but people don't seem to hate working there. Moreover, they don't seem to hate their overseers (at least in my department, I'm not sure how far it spreads past that.) Actually everyone there seems to be a huge fan of the "discount" that we get moreso than any displeasure of the job (aside from Sunday Morning Meetings). We pay wholesale prices on things, Computer packages, iPods and Cell Phones we don't hardly get a penny discounted to speak of. But I can get a $4,000 TV or a $1,500 Home Theatre System for half price. Or a $110 piece of computer software for $9. It all depends.

I don't make commission, I wouldn't work there if that's how it worked, but they do encourage us to sell extra services. My only difficulty is that they're services I myself would never pay money for, but then again, I'm a bit more computer literate than most of my customers. I haven't decided if its really not in the customers best interest or not, reguardless of the obvious profit for the company. The other great thing about it is that they don't keep records of who sells what, so it doesn't seem to matter either way. I've made my peace with instead of trying to get as much money as possible out of the customers, I'm guarnteeing repeat business. I answer everyone's questions as well as I can and try and help them in any way possible. I frequently have people write down my name and say they're going to ask for me when they come back, despite my explainations that they can talk to anyone and we don't make any commission.

All in all, working for The Buy hasn't been bad so far. I like most of my co-workers and like helping people who don't understand technology. I imagine that when my job at Bunn fades away, I'll just go to classes and rely on Best Buy for my cash. The fireworks place did offer me extra hours as well in the fall. So until I find something signifigantly better (possibly a hook-up I can make through grad school) I think I'll be doing just fine in here the Field of Springs.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything I have come to understand about computers has been explained by you. Your analogy of the inside workings of a computer system can be understood by the most common person. You are a "people person" and Best Buy is lucky to have you. Be careful not to give you last name too much so you don't get a computer stalker type looking for you. It will lead them to Jerseyville as nothing has your Springfield address on it.......... Have a good day. Love Mom F

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see someone who actually seems to semi-enjoy their job...good for you. :)

Harry Potter comes out Saturday! You excited?

Breyn

Jake said...

I hate my job. I hate you for liking yours.

Rob said...

Jacob, maybe you should stop breathing now. You're wasting Oxygen that would be better put to use by anyone else.**



** Joke Copyright Rowela Quiaoit 7/10/05

Anonymous said...

dear rob,
i hate my job in town well i love what i do ,i just hate the people i work with. if i could do it somewhere else with the right people it would be fantastic . my ups work is o.k people leave me alone . well i am glad to hear you like your job and you don't take advantage of people who are not so computer geared as like me. that is awesome .gold star.
phillip

Anonymous said...

Rob, I'm so glad you enjoy your job. Do you get discounts on movies too? There are a few boxed sets coming out that would be great. Smallville Season 4 comes out on September 15.

Yah for Harry Potter on Saturday! I am reading my other book (the final book of the Left Behind series I have been reading since January!) in an attempt to be done by Saturday!

Glad all is working in the field of Springs. Too bad you don't like them...ponyshoes are AMAZING!

Tabitha

Anonymous said...

rob,
i am offical becoming a hermit .i hate it when anyone knows anything about me. i got mail today without asking them to send it to me. and i got a animated computer call and i don't know how they got my number.i hate technology and anything like it so i may not be posting anymore .it ruined me .i am going to anywhere and to live out of my car and be a hypi somewhere warm.
phillip