Thursday, May 18, 2006

Now I'm in a bad mood.

Sorry about the crappy post earlier, let me summarize for you: I got a month of free cable. TV sucks and there's nothing on. I ended up watching C-SPAN. I probably won't keep it the whole free month. There, you don't have to read the last post.

So before I was just in a blah mood. Now I got off work and wasn't exactly happy with something that happened to me today, so I'm venting. I HAD A LADY CALL ME RACIST! Ok, so she didn't use those words, but damn near close enough. Here's what happened:

[Lady was buying a computer and handed me her credit card]
ME: Can I see your drivers license?
HER: [incredulously] I shop here... all the time.
ME: Great, I'm glad to hear that, can I see your drivers license?
HER: I make a lot of large purchases here...
ME: Grea...
HER: ...And I have Never been asked for my license.
ME: Ma'am I ask everyone for their license, I'm not really sure of policies and its always better to be safe.
HER: We'll I think you're being discriminatory.
ME: ...
HER: ...
ME: ... [jaw open]
HER: ... and I don't believe it's company policy at all.
ME: You bitch.

[no wait, back that up.... lets redo that last me]
ME: Ma'am, I ask EVERYONE for their license [mentally insert explicitive]

frankly the rest of it was kinda hazy. I don't think I've ever been directly called out on any such thing before and I didn't know how to take it. Oh, but I went immediately to the managers area and vented... and then to the Customer Service people and vented... and to wireless...

I know how to handle it next time, I'm just going to pursue the question. "Ma'am what exactly do you mean by that?" I can do it sugary sweet and all that, but next time I'm not letting an off the cuff accusation slide over, if someone's going to say something like that to me, you better believe I'm going to make them try to put it into real words and say it. There's no better way to make the ignorant look, well, like themselves. Because I just have to mind my wording and tone of voice and there's no way I can get in trouble for anything.

Man I was pissed.

4 comments:

C_thegreat said...

and she was probably white ?
geez, Rob, way to be racist to your own kind, maybe I'm offended now too...

Have you ever had anyone thank you for checking their driver's license? Happened to me ALL the time at the big MOA selling charms

~c

Anonymous said...

Glad you check ID's! Maybe she's racist!

Tabitha

Anonymous said...

Silly woman Trixs are for kids she probably hates getting her drivers license renewed thinking she doesn't need one.

Freemama

Jake said...

This only confirms what I knew all along.