Thursday, April 07, 2005

And we thought Adecco was the weird one.

So I had my interview with Adecco and they'll call me if they get any 11+ an hour job offers, which they seemed fairly optimistic about. True they hooked me up to an electroshock machine and forced me to take ridiculous pictures for their "yearbook." They also tried to slip a form in between the W2 and the Background check page, saying they could surgically remove my lips so that I could better fit the Adecco Image. But reguardless of all this, they were normal compared to this other agency. I'm not gonna use this agency's name, for reasons that they would be likely to maim and kill me if they found out I was releasing this information, so I will call it Jobs'R Us.

I first contacted JRS last week, when I called EVERY PLACEMENT SERVICE in Springfield. I informed every company of my situtation and used the same speech on all of them on how I've got student loans, want a different line of work, moving as soon as I secure employment and need at least 11/hour. I made appointments with 2 of the places that thought they could help me and sent more or less pointless resumes to the other ones (so they could "keep on record.") The weirdness started happening on Tuesday when I got the phone call from a lady I had spoken to once and for like 3 minutes:

Hey Rob, it's ______ from _____. And I noticed you're on the schedule and I wanted to forewarn you that I am back. I just did want you to walk in shocked and be like, "What are you doing here? Didn't you close your business?" Yes I did close my business... ...Its kind of awkward to talk right now because my office is right off the main room and the secretary can hear every word that I'm saying... ...she's gone right now and I imagine I'll have 15 minutes of privacy where I can actually talk... ...so if you could give me a call in the next 15 minutes that would be great... ...Thanks again, bye Rob.
I had NO IDEA what this woman was talking about. I seriously felt like I had been drunk dialed by my prospective employer. Or at least "Drama Dialed," because that's what I think that place is right now, more drama than a college sorority house. I called back the next day (I had afterall missed my 15 minute window by the time I got the message) and spoke with this lady again. She didn't acknowledge the previous phone call or act as if she knew me, although she knew she was talking to the person she called earilier. When I confirmed my appointment and the 11 an hour she told me "actually that's the extreme upper end of our pay range, I'd hate for you to waste your time. I can just cancel your appointment." I didn't suggest canceling, she did... it was weird, I almost felt like she was getting rid of me. Reguardless - its hardly and environment I wanted to get tangled up in... sheesh.

And now Random Facts about Vin Diesel

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered the circus?? I'm sure you've got some weird talent that you could improve upon..don't they pretty much take anything??

Something to look into.

Breyn

Anonymous said...

Rob, how about you just bite the bullet, move up here to Springfield, get a job in the lip removal service industry. That way we can buy more crash pads and climb on the flat, glaciated nothingness that is this awesome climbing wonderland.
-j

Timmy Tapeworm said...

How about you start charging to play people's MMORPG characters for them? People really do that, you know. They can't play as much as they like, so they pay people sweet moolah to level up their characters. You should get into that somehow. I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard. Probably an application on-line somewhere. A series of questions to test your nerdiness, maybe a couple online boot camps, and next thing you know...BAM! You're leveling up some stockbroker's Dark Elf in World of Warcraft for 20 bucks an hour. Now there's the life.

Scott said...

First of all, they're called 'Night Elves' in WoW. And secondly, funny you should mention that Timmy. I was just talking about that service today (which you first informed me about 3 or 4 years ago). Also, please please please come back. I need you! We can be full partners 51/49. Really! It'll be great. I promise...I'm just so sorry...I just get scared sometimes, scared of losin' you baby...

Rob, funny post. It's good to hear about the random corporate insanity you seem to attract again. The drunk dialed line was especially good. I'll be on EQII tonight to make my level and prevent you from getting any further ahead of me. Until then, I'm out.


- Scott