Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Who says April 12th isn't special...

Today I want you to do something you've never done before, or have been putting off for a long time. We are going to make April 12th a day of firsts. Ro went to class today for the first time without putting on make up. Me? I think I'm gonna start working on my Europe Journal, just a little each day. To explain: I kept an awesome journal in Europe, but its all a bunch of chicken scratch written in a cheap little notebook that cost me $1.25 at walmart. Its very scatterbrained and incoherant at times, written as I was fallen asleep or on a long train ride or whatever. I bought a REALLY nice leather bound book from Florence Italy and I'm gonna transfer it there. Anyways, its quite a process (one that has been put off for a year now) and I'm gonna start that today. Even if it's just a half hour a day. For some more inspiration here's what happened on this day in History:

1633 Galileo is convicted of heresy by the church for saying the Earth revolved around the sun (yay! the church, chalk that up as another "oops")
1811 First US Colonist arrive and Texas became a US Territory in 1844 (silly Texas)
1940 Herbie Hancock was born (Rockit was a hit)
1945 President Roosevelt Dies (FDR = Good President)
1947 David Letterman born (I'm more of a John Stewart guy...)
1961 First man in space (Good ol' Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin)
1979 Claire Danes born ("And what other satisfaction can thou'st receive tonight?")
1981 First launching of the space Shuttle ("And there was much Rejoicing... yay...")
1983 Harold Washington becomes Chicago's 1st black mayor (a step forward)
1988 Sonny Bono elected mayor of Palm Springs CA (a step back)

So there you go. Do something. And tell us about it.

I'm gonna leave you with two "interesting" sites. First one is short, second one is a long one... But I enjoyed them both. Smile Therapy. Lucid Dreaming.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are special events except I don't believe any man went to the moon back in the 1960s it was a hoax or I call it a SCAM. My great great grandmother didn't either she believe that it was a stage act and they put a space suit on a man had a picture of a rocket and said to the whole world "I went to the moon".

Freemama

Scott said...

Ah, you hit upon something I know. Lucid dreaming and I are good friends. I tend to end up flying in my lucid dreams, and that's what tips me off that I'm dreaming. After that I usually have a good time aggravating people, then flying away, leaving them with no recourse. They're always bad people though, and as such appear differently from 'good' people. There are some neutral people in there too, but they're Swedish and don't really interest me anyway.

The flying always starts out really difficult, and I screw it up alot. But as I go I get better and better, until I'm precise enough to fly between helicopter blades. Which I only did once. Still, I claimed it as being a pretty big accomplishment. I like to think I get more done asleep by 7:00 than I usually do all day.

But enough about my random dreams. Today my "never before done act" will be...not to mock David Letterman fans? No. I reserve that right. I don't know what it'll be. But I'll get back to you when it's done.

Rob said...

My lucid dreaming involves flying too. Although I don't know if I realize I'm dreaming and then begin flying, or the fact that I'm flying lets me know that I'm dreaming. Normally its me running from someone, and then I run faster and faster until I start to fly. It is at this point I win, cause the person chasing can never fly as well. The only really consistant thing about my flying is that it starts off with me running and then I begin to swim in mid air. Like when you swim underwater all froggy like, that's how I fly.

Jake said...

Yeah, FDR sure was a good president...for those that were tired of that pesky "democracy" business getting in the way of things.

Anonymous said...

My goal for the day was to talk like Snoop-Dog all day. My friend thought this might help me.

I haven't had anything post-worthy in a while, til now:

www.asksnoop.com

Enjoy.

Jen~