Friday, April 22, 2005

Painting with a full palette

Am I gonna run that analogy into the ground? Yes I am. Sometimes (most of the time) I need someone to keep me grounded so I don't get carried away... and Lisa's always there to do that for me. Here's an email she sent me:

Rob,

First, you don't have to read any of the following. I'm grouchy, and your blog today made me happy and sad and I wanted to tell you about it. I wanted the chance for a personal rant, but didn't want to start 'nuthin on your blog page (bad politics and all). Prepare for the airing of the grievances:

Point #1: I totally agree with you. Close-minded people are dumb. Separate but equal has never ever worked -- a pretty big historical precedent that probably won't ever change. Separate implies different. And in most cases, different means unequal. If this were geometry, someone would fail because the proof just doesn't work.

Point #2: (This is the one that makes me cranky). Liberals can be just as close-minded in their views as conservatives. Personally, I think either end of the spectrum is likely to vilify the other end, and refuse to hear out its "enemies." The minute a person says "I'm an open-minded liberal and I will not listen to your close-minded conservative bullshit because you have nothing to teach me" s/he becomes close-minded. And those people piss me off. A lot. End rant.

Thanks for listening, and I hope my rant doesn't offend. But down with self-censorship! Gandalf for President!

Lisa

PS -- I heard that those ribbons peel the paint off of cars when people try to take them off, so they'll get what's coming to 'em :)

Anyways, Lisa (much like my girliefriend) are a bit over-conscious when it comes to offending people. I think they and Scott have a lot to learn from one another. I agree totally with Lisa's argument that both sides have polarized so that neither one makes a lick of sense any more. That is bad for our country. When it comes down to it there has to be a middle ground and not everyone will get everything they want.

Which brings me to my next point... Which person is worse: Michael Moore, Ann Coulter or George Lucas. I'd like to hear your views but with this ONE stipulation: If you know who the person is, you have to admit at least one negative point about each. I'll do mine in the comments section.

Finally, its time I should fess up to why I really hate those ribbons and bracelets. Plain and simple... I didn't think of it first. Well, that's not entirely true. Also I think its a way to make a profit off a tragedy... which was the first thing I thought of when those ribbons came out after 9/11. And those bracelets all suck 'cause I have arm hair. A tight band of rubber around MY wrist is not the most pleasant thing in the world. Anyways, that's what I'm giving you for today. What do you think?

5 comments:

Rob said...

M. Moore: I'm sure there are scraps of truth buried in his B.S. However, he's so much of a conspiricy theorist that he makes it impossible for anyone to take the side of any of those scraps of truth without being put under his "Crazy Man" Umbrella. I think he's funny, and I can see why people would hate him. He's too over the top and therefore practically counter productive for the Democratic Party. One of those things where he's close to a good thing, but he's just not. By the way, I own both Fahrenheit 9/11 and FahrenHYPE 9/11 and in my opinion, they're BOTH horribly misleading works of fiction based on scraps of fact.

A. Coulter: Arrogant, Hateful, Spiteful, Cold Hard "person". True she may be misquoted now and again, but as far as I'm concerned she's the Moore of the Republicans. Almost every view she takes is the exact opposite of mine. And if she ever became president, I would fear for the sake of the world.

G. Lucas: Do you have any idea how many different versions of Star Wars are currently out there? Its the single most shameless marketing schemes ever devised. They know that if they release it and stamp "Star Wars" on the cover, people will buy it.

Scott said...

Michael Moore: Obese, disheveled, unwashed. He has the affliction of being able to spot hypocracy and corruption, but being so hypocritical and corrupt himself, no one can take him seriously. That and he is pretty sensationalist.

Ann Coulter: Rob's first sentence pretty much says it all. She's all the worst qualities of women and Republicans (and women Republicans) combined. She's like the anti-Captain Planet. When "Arrogance", "Hate", "Spite", "Coldness", and "Vindictiveness" raise their rings together they summon... ANN COULTER!

Georgey Boy: What the fuck man. I don't often cuss on other people's blogs, but this warrants it. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?! I lost faith in you when, in the first "new" Star Wars, you had Qui Gon Jinn whip out his "force counter". Congratulations, you've officially sucked all the mysticism out of the Force. You might as well have shown us a bar graph of the kid's skills, handed out pamphlets about the process of "immaculate Force conception", and detailed his insurance premiums for the next five years. I'm very worried about this "last" Star Wars comming out. And even more so worried because it looks pretty decent, which means the amount you could mess this up is exponentially higher.

One last thing, yeah I probably do need some kind of counter balance. I very rarely hold back, which sometimes leads to some awkwardness. But at least people know where they stand, and I find that leads to funny stories later on, so all in all, I'm pretty happy with myself.

After all, I do kick ass. Plus I'm humble.

- Scott

Anonymous said...

If She's talking about those yellow ribbons Support Our Troops yes they will eventually mess up your car. I have one and I took mines off and put it on my back window. Hope you and Ro saw Smallville this past week I thought that was sweet Clark and Lana got to dance with each other at their prom just the way it should be. The bad news is that Lana's (so call) boyfriend Jason saw them dancing together. I say forget him!

Freemama

Timmy Tapeworm said...

We HAVE to say one thing bad about each person? Geez, why all the negativity? This is like an affirmation, ONLY BACKWARDS! HA HA! Seriously, it's depressing...

Moore: If you're the representative of the underprivileged, fighting against the greed and gluttony of corporate America, maybe it would be a good idea to NOT weigh 300 pounds. Also, it seems he should shower more.

I take it back, this is kind of fun.

Coulter: Regardless of her political views (which I find absolutely crazy), I don't respect any personality that has built her entire persona on hatred of another view. Enough of what you stand against. What do you stand FOR? Plus, her face looks like someone stretched papyrus over the skull of a antelope.

Yeah, this is actually REALLY fun.

Lucas: Created the character of Jar-Jar Binks.

Jake said...

Rob: too hip.

Scott: too nerdy.

Tim: too tall.

wait, what's going on?