Monday, March 07, 2005

The Movies: Revisited

Alright time for the second installment of my movies discussion. Today we're gonna be talking about more current movies. Its a huge pet peeve of mine when I get REALLY excited about a movie, and then it sucks. Here are some of my biggest let downs:
Reign of Fire: Movie about dragons taking over the world in the future... This had the promise to be one of my favorite movies of all time. I do like dragons. It sucked. It was simply a bad movie. The only thing that could have mad it worse would have been a Wayans Brother.... oh wait... that was this movie.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Not a "HORRIBLE" movie, but not "good" either. It had Sean Connery in it. That alone, plus the hype, is probably what killed this movie. Not that Connery did a bad job, but that him being in it raised expectations so high. And how can you have a "League" and leave out Elmo??

Underworld: Romeo and Juliet done with Vampires and Werewolves. I really enjoyed the story, just not the execution. I was in it entirely for the Theatrical end of things of course. I was pumped to see good ol' Willy Shakespeares work transcend genres and live on through... shit, who am I kidding, I wanted to see vampires. I'm still in love with Kristy Swanson.

Saw: The movie that inspired this post. Watched it last night with Mike Collins... I was AMAZED that for an hour and 15 minutes I was thoroughly enjoying a quality movie... and then something happened. They tried to pull a "Usual Suspects" ending and failed terribly. The movie completely went to crap. eh, oh well. Is is wrong that I was totally into a movie about a serial killer who puts people in positions where they end up killing themselves?? nah, I'm sure its totally healthy.
So that's where I stand on those. I'm not gonna mention the Matrix series, it goes without saying. Oh and I could add the Crow 2 & 3 as well, but I won't get into any of that. Anything you'd like to add to my list of disappointments? I'd love it hear it. Or would you want to argue one of my picks? Go for it, but don't expect me to listen.

8 comments:

Rob said...

Oh yeah, so I made a "links" section. What do you think? Waste of space? Would ANYONE really use it? I dunno, just seemed like any important website always has a links section...

Scott said...

I noticed that you, like me, screwed with the "posted by/comments" lines in the HTML so they say different things. If you read the new "loving comment left" the way you would say it, it's fine. But that's because you're one sarcastic guy. I think it's much funnier to read it as Martha Stewart. Her deep woman-baritone voice imparting as much emotion as much as it possibly can.

But then, I'm somewhat twisted. Also I, for one, support the new link area. I was thinking about having one. But then I figured I'd already copied the layout and widscreen format from Tim, I didn't need to go three for three. You know what they say: good artists create; great artists steal.

I don't particularly feel like debating the awfulness of any movies right at the moment. However, I think it would be fun to have some people over some time (not too many, like 3-5) and completely tear it apart, much akin to MST3K. I pretty much do it with every movie I ever see, it'd just be nice to have some people who can keep up with me.

- Scott

Anonymous said...

On the contrary, I'd like to go in the opposite direction and discuss 80's films, much like fine wine and cheese, got better with age.
Short Circuit is the first one that comes to mind. I get all of the jokes now, it's got great banter, Ally Sheedy, and Steve Guttenberg. I don't know that you could ask for a better movie.
And this is my stand, Back to the Future is a consistently great flim offering, the car works on garbage, that's the miracle of Mr.Fusion! Once you split the atom there's more then enough energy to power whatever you'd like. With or without the Libians' help.

Jake said...

Saw did suck. I'm glad you agree.

The Melan'jack said...

The League of Extraordinary Gentleman was an awesome comic. And Mina was the leader AND by the way, a much cooler character. It makes me so sad when good comics are destroyed by movies.

I add to the list Bulletproof Monk--also a good comic destroyed by Hollywood--and although it doesn't quite fit in this list, Good Company because it looked so cute in the previews and then so completely disappointed me in the theater. Who puts Scarlett Johansen in baggy T-shirts throughout an entire movie? What a waste of her talent.

Anonymous said...

I would like to add to the list any and all Vin Diesel movies. I love the man, and his pecs love me... but someone needs to tell him that the movies he's in are just pitiful.

Anonymous said...

The Hulk. That movie SUCKED! The hype that went into that movie...and then it totally sucked. My hubbie is a big fan of all things comics, and so he was expecting a good movie. Unfortunately this was NOT the case. It's not accurate to comics (I heard all about this through the entire movie!), and it is just frankly boring.

Tabitha

Anonymous said...

I do remember seeing the first Crow movie I only saw a little of the second one and didn't like it I had no idea they came out with a third one. Underworld wasn't to bad of a movie but to much Matrix wana be. I haven't seen Saw I heard diffrent views about it not sure if I want to watch it when the movie comes on cable. As far as the Extraordinary Gentleman movie it was not as good as I thought when I went to the theatre to see it. I was pretty disapointed few seens in the movie were good, but overall this Sean Connery movie doesn't get an A from me.

Freemama