Thursday, March 17, 2005

Reading Rainbow

butterfly in the sky, I can go twice as high
take a look, it's in a book, it's reading rainbow

I can do anything
friends to know, and ways to grow
reading rainbow
reading rainbow

Hello Kids, today we're gonna talk about books. See, I'm on my way to Chicago in say, 15 minutes and I need a post. And I'm also currently Burning an audio book for the car ride. Let me tell you, audio books are awesome. Got a mindnumbing job? Listen to an audio book while you work. Got a long, solo drive ahead of you? Audio book. The one I picked for today out of my dad's vast library (he's an automotive body repairman - and listens to a lot and there and when doing home remodeling) is Eragon. It had a picture of a dragon on the cover, so I was sold.

I want to take a moment and throw out some book recremendations. See, I stole an nausiatingly cute idea from Josh and Allyn (best friend of mine engaged to a great girl, see here). So Ro and I picked out books for eachother and did a little exchange. I gave her Enders Game, and she bought me "Working." Enders Game has been brought up on this site before and Working is a collection of like 100-150 short interviews/essays/whatever from people all over the US, from your bus driver to your lawyer. Interesting read, let me tell you. Its amazing how many people all over feel exactly like you do about some things, and others doing the same thing can LOVE what they do. Anyways, yeah. My "If you're gonna read one sci-fi book ever" recremendation is "Enders Game." What about you? Any book suggestions?

No Scott, you can't say Enders Shadow. Just for the record folks, if you like Enders Game, Enders Shadow is as good, if not better.

P.S. Remember the episode when you found out that LeVar Burton was the same guy who played Geordi LaForge on Star Trek? When I was a kid, it blew my mind. Hell, it still blows my mind.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do miss watching Star Trek The next Generations that was one of my favorite tv program. The rest of the Star Trek series that aired after Generations went off just doesn't measure up. Believe it or not I even like the orginal Star Trek series that was on during the 1960s.

Update on the overtime here at wlpp looks like the $50.00 gift certificate bribe didn't work afterall. Pat still didn't get enough people to sign up and to come in for eight hours Saturday. No free food or money thats out the window.

Freemama

Anonymous said...

I do miss watching Star Trek The next Generations that was one of my favorite tv program. The rest of the Star Trek series that aired after Generations went off just doesn't measure up. Believe it or not I even like the orginal Star Trek series that was on during the 1960s.

Update on the overtime here at wlpp looks like the $50.00 gift certificate bribe didn't work afterall. Pat still didn't get enough people to sign up and to come in for eight hours Saturday. No free food or money thats out the window.

Freemama

Timmy Tapeworm said...

I'm going to go out on a large, massively populated limb here and say The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Probably the single funniest book I've ever read. And soon to be a major motion picture that had better be amazing or someone's getting kicked in the balls.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't seem like books are a very popular topic with this group.

Who doesn't love a good book?

While I have always been a fan of the more mysterious, psychotic type of books written by author's such as Steven King and Dean Koontz (Insomnia - great book as was Lighting...two later works) I have found myself drawn to the more feminine romance books as I grow older (I don't know what that means). And no I'm not talking about those harlequin romance novels. I would have to recommend anything written by Nicolas Sparks. "The Notebook" - Wonderful...the movie was just as great!

The Left Behind Series was also awesome (at least as far as I've gotten, I've only made it to Book 10 out of 12...I understand 12 is a let down so I'm a little hesitant to finish).

But my by far my all time favorite book series and one I'm waiting in desperate anticipation for the next one to come out is definately HARRY POTTER. Yes I jumped on the band wagon of that phenomenon and I don't regret it!

Breyn