Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Rob's Office Space: Almost as good as word of the day toilet paper.

I'm at ISU right now. I helped Ro study for an Visual Disorders test she has today. A lot of really big words for simple enough disorders... For example: Achromotopsia is simply Color Blindness, which means there was some malformation/damage to the cones in your eyes. Myopia and Hyperopia is Far and Near Sightedness (respectively). Amblyopia means you have a lazy eye... "Hey! Look at me when I'm talking to you!" And Anophthalmus means you're a pirate (missing one eye). By the way, there was actually a side note in her book reguarding Anophthalmus that blew my mind. I kid you not, it said, if both eyes are affected it results in total blindness. Seriously, did that need to be stated? If someone is missing both eyes entirely... you mean, he can't see?!?

In other defination news: Yours truely has submitted a defination on Urbandictionary.com. I was really disappointed when the word I made up was already there... but with a different defination. The weirdest thing about it is that the person who made the other defination was from Illinois State as well. Small world. But here it is: Frat Rat.

So yeah, that makes me a scholar right? I mean, I coined a new term and its on the books. Give me a thumbs up rating so I can beat out that other guy's defination. Mine's better anyways. At least my usage example is. One final note on definations. I saw a newspaper article on this a while back but now I can't find the actual article again. Here is a copy of that article that I managed to dig up. I'm not going to be able to assure the validity of this, I'm just passing it along. Reguardless, it's funny:

This is a true story. A Cork Radio Station (in Ireland), 96 FM, was running a competition to find contestants who could come up with words that were not found in any English Dictionary, yet could still be used in a sentence that would make logical sense. The prize was a trip to Bali for a week.

The DJ Neil, had many callers; the following two standing out:

DJ: 96FM, what's your name
Caller: Hi, me name's Dave
DJ: Dave, what is your word
Caller: Goan.....spelt G-O-A-N, pronounced 'go-an'
DJ: We are just checking that (pause) and you are correct, Dave, 'goan' is certainly a word not found in the English Dictionary. Now the next question, for a trip for two to Bali is: What sentence can you use that word in that would make logical sense?
Caller: "Goan fuck yourself"

At this point, the DJ cut the caller short and announced that there is no place for that sort of language on a family show.

After many more unsuccessful calls, the DJ took the following caller:

DJ: 96FM, what's your name
Caller: Hi, me name's Jeff
DJ: Jeff, what is your word
Caller: Smee.....spelt S-M-E-E, pronounced 'smee'
DJ: We are checking that (pause) and you are correct, Jeff. 'Smee' is certainly a word not found in the English Dictionary. Now the next question, for a trip for two to Bali, is: What sentence can you use that word in that would make logical sense?
Caller: "Smee again! Goan fuck yourself!"


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those guys that called in on that radio station shame on them. Update on wlpp employee these two people you know that are leaving Kathy Johnson and Melissa Fry. Yesterday was Melissa last day and today is suppose to be Kathy last day I believe she is going back school I'm to sure why Melissa left. The guy Jason that works in the mailroom with Matt this week is his last week.

Freemama

Scott said...

Hey wow, the comments actually work. I like your definition of Frat Rat way more than the other guy's. And you included rape in the example, how discreet.

Good post all in all, I'm too tired now to comment on it more specificially, but I will say that I laughed pretty hard at the double Amblyopia side note. And at the usage of Goan and Smee. Hilarious.

- Scott