Thursday, August 25, 2005

Back to School

So I've noticed some changes between Grad School and my previous college experience. For one (and perchance a big ONE) is the demand for papers. As a Computer/Art major, intense papers were never really part of my classload, huge projects: yes, papers: no. So not only will I have to write a nice handful of them this semester, but they'll all have to be much longer than previous requirements. I believe the quote from the syllabus was, "Lets just say less than 5 pages would be drastically inadequate attention to the topic."

Secondly, and almost hand in hand, is the excessive amount of readings I have to do. Our assignment in one of my classes was this: read chapter 1 & 3 from Book A, Chapter 1 from Book B, and the whole Book C. In my other class we have lengthy articles to read and just the titles of some of those are enough to make a grown man cry. But hey, I'll handle it. I've already read my Book B (sample here) readings, I had to read it 2-3 times and take notes, but I got it.

So yeah, that's the schooling update, more to come as things progress. In the meantime I came across a really interesting article on Digg.com about Crocodiles and HIV. The short of it is that Crocs live in one of the most disease and bacteria ridden environments in the world. They get in nasty fights, get torn up and even lose limbs but almost never get an infection. So scientists are studying the blood and do little Virus Celebrity Deathmatches... In this corner Staphylococcus "Staph Infection" Aureus, and in the red corner, the returning champion... Croc Blood!!! So yeah, even up against tough opponents like HIV, croc blood is kicking butt. They haven't figured out how to utilize it with human blood but its a serious step in the right direction.

4 comments:

Rob said...

having problems with my posting at work... no need to explain it all but if you're interested in the links I would have put in there:

My Book Exerpt:
http://www.lib.niu.edu/ipo/ii010126.html

Croc Blood:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/08/17/crocodile.blood.reut/

Rob said...

Yeah Ro, tell me again how much you LOVED the aussie from camp. I hear he's transfering to ISU just so he could spend some more time near you.

Anonymous said...

Yikes....I sense some bitterness Rob.

Amazing, who'd have thunk crocodiles could some day be the cure to HIV and other nasty little infections.

Tabitha

Scott said...

You know what? I'm going to use digg.com for my blogging purposes too. Then what will you have? What I ask you?!