Friday, August 12, 2005

Google (part 3)

Yeah, I don't know how many times I've actually posted about how Google was going to take over the world, but I can always mention it again. Today's lesson in Google deals with Google Maps and Google Local.

Lets say you're looking for nearby pizza places (I actually used this yesterday to find nearby Cingular stores). Just go to Google and type in "Pizza 62704" or the zip code of your choice. Unless you really want to find pizza places at my zip code. The google map shows you pin points where pizza places are. You could do a more specific search like "Pizza Hut" as well.

Now that's the easy and useful Google knowledge. Now for slightly more technical but still interesting. Google has released all the code and information for their Google Maps software so any programmer can utilize it however they wish. This is rare that a company says hey, take our stuff and you can legally change it and share it with the world (but you can't make a profit off it). What does this mean to us?

I don't know if anyone here has ever heard of Hot or Not, but its a website popular amongst highschool and college kids where you put your picture up and let people rank you: Hot or Not. Some crazy person took the Google Technology and merged it with Hot or Not and came up with this creepy result. You can now find people who have posted their picture on Hot or Not with little pins showing where they live. Weird.

1 comment:

Scott said...

It's odd. Sometimes I'll put up what I think is a pretty good post, and nothing. Nada. No comments. Not even a "you suck".

And sometimes I'll put up what I think is crap, and people will really latch onto it. I'm not sure which category this falls into, but apparently no one cares about Google at all.

- Scott

P.S. I still care about Google.

P.P.S. 1 Comments, grammar mistakes aside is better than no comments.