Monday, September 26, 2005

Neapolitan isn't just Ice Cream

I have a post all typed up and ready to go. I have a picture that I took while driving that is essential to the post, but my cell phone is unable to connect to the internet for the last 2 hours. So I'm going to have to put this post off until tomorrow. Problem is, I really don't feel like typing up a whole new post. oh well...

Ro came to visit this weekend, and it was awesome. I drove up to pick her up after work on Friday meaning I didn't leave until... midnight. But her brother had the car and we had a party to go to on Saturday. Tim's Farewell Party at Josh's house that is. Ro and I spent a lot of time "just hanging out." For example, on Sunday we went to Barns and Noble to do homework, but there was no tables available. So we somehow ended up at the pets section and looked at ridiculously cute pictures of puppies the whole time. And I came across the name of a particular breed of dog that I've been wanting since the Europe trip.

While waiting at a train station in Prague - Josh, and two other Euro-friends, came across this girl. The girl wasn't too remarkable, or maybe she was, we just couldn't have told you because we were too obsessed with the dogbeast at her feet. Seriously, the largest, scariest dog, I'd ever seen. We called it a "Shark with Legs." When it yawned, I swear it had like 8 rows of teeth. Its a good thing that it was so well behaved, because weighed just shy of 150 pounds, to our estimation (and the girl probably 110.)

It was a Neapolitan Mastiff.
Here's some pictures.
Scarriest dog ever.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

he kind of looks like a walrus (spelling?) any way....def a big dog....my next door neighbors have a Bull Mastiff (I think that is the name) and it is freaking huge....its like 4ft tall and very scary.

Anna

Rob said...

Yeah, I didn't spend the time to find the perfect one. The one in Czech had less neck flaps... but it was that color and size. The face is about the same, but I don't remember all those folds of skin on the neck and body. I don't know if its my memory making him even more sleek than reality, but the dog in my head had more bulk, less flaps.

And yeah, the Neapolitan Mastiff is in the same family as the Bullmastiff (avg 110-130 lbs). The Neapolitan runs about 30 lbs heavier on average, and the heaviest weighing 200. That folks, is your scary dog education for the day.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't decide if it was adorable or frightening. It was as if the dog made all lifestyle decisions for the girl from now on. The girl hadn't decided to take the dog for the walk, the dog had woken up and decided that it would be a great day to pull her around for an hour, or until he wanted to go home.

C_thegreat said...

More like freakin' elephant seal with legs.
An elephant seal would be so much sweeter of a pet. But it would cost more to keep it... saddness...

I haven't read your blog for a while, so I'm just going down the page, if you can't tell by now.
I'm working front desk of a res hall right now, and I'm trying to stay awake, thanks for the entertainment!

~c