Thursday, September 01, 2005

Advice for the Masses

Corporations are big on numbers and surveys. Given the opportunity, I say provide feedback whenever you can. Everyone knows that sending a complaint letter to a major food industry can often get you free stuff, did you realize that a compliment letter often has the same effect. If you have a waitress or cashier that seems like a nice person, ask for a manager and give rave reviews… you may actually get that person a raise. At Best Buy if you tell a manager that an employee did an excellent job, that employee’s name is entered into a monthly drawing/prize giveaway. Sometimes it’s a $25 gift card; sometimes it’s a cool little techie-treat. This is going to be my own personal game I believe, when I go to restaurants and such. I’m going to make giving positive feedback to superiors the next cool thing to do.

As far as surveys, I just ate at Pizza Hut and I noticed there was a survey on the receipt. So I called the number and did it in 4 minutes over my cell phone while I was still at the table. Now the next time I go to Pizza Hut I get a Personal Pan for 99 cents, and I’m totally down with cheap/free stuff. At Best Buy you get a survey with every receipt. I’d say that less than 5% of people actually go online and fill that thing out. YOU SHOULD!!! You are entered into a drawing for $500 when you do. First off it’s not a nation-wide drawing, it’s regional (so you’re up against the other 5% from 10 other Best Buys) and it’s drawn every month. I had a 17-year-old kid just a few weeks ago come through and buy a $500 car stereo system for his hand me down car. It is because he filled out the survey on a DVD he bought.

So yeah, that’s what I’m giving you for today. What I would like to hear is some of your own experiences with stores/employees; maybe free stuff given to you for kindness as opposed to being a mean-face. Alternatively, I’d like to know of any other businesses that you may have worked for that has similar rewards programs for it’s customers or the employees themselves.

2 comments:

C_thegreat said...

At Schlotzsky's, they'd let me eat my supper for free sometimes if I did a good job. That was the highlight of two summers in a row. I only got one raise and that was after one month, since I hung around and continued to work for them. Bogus.

But at my Italian Charm Bracelet kiosk, I got a $100 gift certificate at the end of the summer for busting my butt. Yeah, that was pretty sweet.

Working Rockin' Rib Fest and Taste of MN was cool b/c you get free mini-donuts, corn on the cob, and whatever other food vendors will trade ya for. (I highly recommend hooking yourself up with a food festival!)

Dude, I'm all for free stuff, I want to go buy something at Best Buy just to vie for that $500!
~c

Anonymous said...

I am formally announcing, using various blogs that the great cell phone ringtone showdown is in full effect as of now.
If you would like to suggest your own ringtone for my phone or possibly suggest someone else's, feel free to ignore the author's postings and comment on this instead. Saves me getting my own blog.
-josh