Friday, September 02, 2005

Kids and Guns

So Scott and I have been playing the F.E.A.R. demo on the computer recently. Let me tell you what, creepiest game ever. This game is actually scary. Take all those Asian-esque horror movies (The Ring, The Grudge) and put it in a first person shooter and you got a decent idea. You’re not shooting ghosts or anything, you’re hunting real people, but freaky stuff happens all around you. That on top of the fact that you can do bullet-time (slow things down Matrix Style) and amazing graphics… and don’t even get me started on the violent weapons. You have a rail gun that can peg/nail people to the wall, and another gun that just makes their skin explode off their body… woah. And the whole time there's a creepy dead/ghost child following you and giggling and walking in rivers of blood.

Isn’t it odd that I LOVE games like that, yet I get nauseous at the site of even my own blood. I can’t look at bloody spots on the interstate. I get queasy just driving by roadkill of any sort. I never look at the puncture site while I’m giving blood, and try everything just to avoid thinking about it. I try not to step on ants on the sidewalk. But in the game God of War the fact that you could rip a man in two or tear the wings off a flying monster and then break its neck was probably the coolest thing that Ro or I had ever seen in a game. Movie and Videogame violence is great, real life violence… not so much.

Weird?

8 comments:

Scott said...

I've gotten so good at playing the demo (I've played every difficulty twice or so, and making rules like "Only the pistol this time!) that I can now use the weapons however I want. For instance give me a pose. Chances are, I can peg the guy to the wall in the exact pose you asked for.

It's the most violent, terrifying game I've ever played... and I want more!

- Scott

Timmy Tapeworm said...

To say nothing of the menage a trois minigame in God of War. And I don't think Rob even knows what sex IS yet.

Rob said...

Tim is a slut.

Anonymous said...

rob
i think you are a wus . the fact that you get sick at the site of blood makes me laugh. i got to use human tissue in my lab yesterday. it was the coolest. and i agree tim is a slut i know he used to hit on me in school as if.
phlip

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Rob is 7 years old.

Phil makes me uncomfortable electronically.

Rob said...

Tim is 7 feet tall.

People stare.

Scott said...

I'm sorry were we all supposed to comment twice? I must have missed that line in the post.

- Scott


P.S. My word is kattzfro

Anonymous said...

second post
phlip