Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Sometimes it slips out....

I've got two quotes from my Model Illinois Government (website) that I thought were noteworthy enough to share with the group. They both made me laugh quite a bit. First off to set the stage, we were doing some mock parliamentary procedures, just going through the motions of debating a bill, passing amendments and the like. We all split up into democrats and republicans (interesting enough, most of the republicans were actually just democrats playing it up) but one of the bills was about gun control. Pretty much a party line issue, Dems against and Repubs for. The main argument was about concealed weapons and the right to bear arms and the right to protect yourself and to protect your family. And in our Whip's closing argument it got a little ridiculous at the end. She became extremely melodramatic and finished with something along the lines of:
"And that, my fellow American's is why we should stand together and fight this... Remember, Guns don't save people; People save people."
it made me laugh outloud.



But the second quote of the night was even better. It was from me, whispered to the person next to me. So I know it's been mentioned before that sometimes I think really mean things because I think it's funny. Its not the fact that I mean or believe them at all, it just sometimes I just come up with the harshest things to say. Sometimes there's no one around me that I know well enough to let them in on, what I believe, is a hilarious joke. Sometimes the pain of keeping to myself is too much and I let it slip out.

So we were learning about points of order, objections, etc. In general, ways to interrupt and question someone or something. It was a VERY not serious bill in question, just whipped up for illustrative purposes regarding promiscuous acts amongst college students. The Representative of the Religious Right was going off about the damnable properties of "self-destructive behaviors" and made the statement that she "made the Choice to abstain from premartial sex," I leaned over and asked if we could object that I didn't believe it was her choice, but instead society's. The other girl said, "yeah, I wouldn't say that." I laughed to myself quite a bit... even if SHE didn't see the humor in it. I really can't be held responsible, sometimes it just slips out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rob this has nothing to do with your post, but I thought about you on this one Barry Manilow your favorite singer had a live performance on Dancing With The Stars last week singing a few of his hit songs. Sorry, I don't know why he was on there none of the dancers were dancing to any of his songs. I just thought I share that with you and I know your sorry you missed him.

Freemama vs Barry Manilow

Anonymous said...

Rob, I have the same problem. At times it gets me in trouble with a couple people. Typically when i say stuff, only one person says "yikes" "Ouch" "woah" or "you're an asshole."


On another point. Having to do with the phsyically disabled (No, not offensive against them). I thought you would have some insight on this one. One of the guys that works the poolhall everyafternoons is in a wheelchair. Today there was a guy that was walking through the poolhall from the bar and said to him "You have an advantage" Tony (the handicaped) didn't even know what to say. What's your opionoin on this? Do people in wheel chairs have an advantage in billiards?
Scooter