Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Model Illinois Government

So I joined MIG (see title) thinking that it would help give me a far better understanding of the whole process and it would also look quite nice on a resume (oh, and my teacher gives mega-bonus points for doing it). I decided that I would try and be a Lobbyist, a sort of behind the scenes man. I seriously have to lurk outside the caucuses and buddy up to legislators and try and get them to pass my bill.

After my first meeting last night I heard some past MIG examples of how you can do "favors" and get things done. Let me tell you, model government is just about as corrupt as the public mistakenly believes that the real government is. Here was one (yet almost every) example of how you can get someone to see your point of view: give them your request wrapped around a bottle of Jack. I can already tell this is going to call for some creativity.

I think this will work both against and for me. Obviously I'm not buying anyone alcohol to help get my pretend bill passed, if a time comes that I must sacrifice my personal beliefs for the greater good then I'll have to weigh my options. That time will not be for a fake bill for a fake government. So I need some alternative ways to grab attention.

I'll either have to champion a bill that's humorous in itself and college kids would just like the idea (although it can't be too far out there, because most do take this very seriously). I could carry around asprin for those who accepted too many "bribes" the night before. I could also hand out something like fruit roll ups (everyone loves fruit roll ups). I could have a sexually themed bill and hand out a condom to each representative with my proposal. Really, I just have to do something that sticks in their mind and makes them want to help me out. Its like real government, except its not because I've only got like 2 days to lobby and really nothing to offer. Another option is to try and find the people who are running for important offices (like Senate Majority Leader) and offer to help hand out buttons and such for them if they get their friends to help endorse my bill.

Anyways, I'm open to suggestions or comments. I pretty much was just thinking of this stuff last night and thought I'd blog about it. (My internet went down last night actually... which is why you have a late post). Have a great day, I'm off to the Buy.

3 comments:

kimberlyb1974 said...

Mmmm....pudding.

kimberlyb1974 said...

You're not serious are you?

I don't want to look even more perv-y and try to explain how my gutter mind works, if you're only kidding.

kimberlyb1974 said...

So the chicken on the right says, "the browns taste better," and as soon as I see the brown people, my sick mind automatically flashes up, in true Beavis and Butthead form, "huh..huh...he said taste better." As in orally-stimulating-type activities.

OK...now I will refrain from posting on Rob's blog ever again.