Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Slowly going the way of the Overachiever

Alright, so it was a disease of mine at the end of highschool and freshman year of college that I tried to do EVERYTHING. I did everything from Illinois Math League - Show Choir - Model UN - Community Theatre - My own quartet for money on the side - a lot of junk. It caused me to take on too much my freshman year and sqeak by with a 2.01 GPA my first semester because I couldn't handle it all. Well, I learned my lesson and try not to bite off anymore than I think I can take. Its been a long time since I joined a random group or club. Sure I did TaeKwonDo for a bit, but really that was it besides a choir or two in college... oh, and ITI.

Last night I started working on my connections and resume building for UIS. I asked Tom Ryder (Josh/Tim's Dad) to come speak to our class, yeah that's a few bonus points for the teacher I know. But after that I joined a club at UIS. MIG (Model Illinois Government). Seemed like fun, it'll help me learn more about politics, and I get mondo bonus points (literally - class credit) from one of my teachers.

Following in my surrogate father's footsteps I'm going to be a lobbyist, and it only requires the next 5 Tuesday nights (after my night class) and then a 4 day weekend. The first day of the big weekend is actually my birthday. We're put up at the Hilton and will be "in session" for 3 days as well as various events like a "Governor's Ball." I'm sure I'll have more to report as I learn what I really got myself into.

For now, its back to reading.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any questions about being "in session" you should talk to my boss Sara. That's what she does, deals with the Illinois General Assembly.

Tabitha

Anonymous said...

what you got yourself into is me being jealous of you....i hate you....i mean i really love you....but right now i hate you
anna

Anonymous said...

Yea, Rob. You'll be great, but you know that we all think you will have some BIG shoes to fill.
Your other Mother

Anonymous said...

SO does this mean that you can drive over the speed limit and not get a ticket while "in session"?

-Clive Owen in Sin City

Anonymous said...

So much for the overachiever try....your blog is still on Wednesday's post and it's Friday afternoon!!

Slacker

Breyn ;)

Anonymous said...

Come on Rob, help me out here! I'm bored to tears and you've got NOTHIN for me to keep me from working!

Smallville was awesome! Phillip says it's his favorite and most hated, all in the same episode! Clark FINALLY told Lana, and then the dumb guy went turned back time and didn't tell her!

Tabitha