Thursday, May 26, 2005

Alarms are going off...

in my head anyways. I'm seeing a potential for problems. Last two days we were done with work by noon. This is bad, and I was the most recent temp picked up. I can't slow down to make the work stretch, 'cause there are like 5 of us working on it. So if I slow, my numbers will be poor, and that is NO GOOD either.
"Hello Rock, meet the Hard Place. Don't mind me, I'm just gonna wedge myself inbetween you two... there. All set."
So I debated all morning about what I could do. I want you all to pause just a moment and think about what I just told you about me being done with my work by noon. I work 9-6. I still had SIX HOURS of work left. I had to make a last ditch effort. My supervisor has been out sick, so I typed up this email and sent it out to her boss (and CC: Supervisor). Alex classes are what they call those courses I've been taking (Mortgages, Escrow, Adjustable Rate, Money Laundering, etc.) Mind you, this is my job on the line:


I had some ideas/questions concerning the afternoons that seem to be increasingly devoted to ALEX classes and Downtime. I realize that this should probably be discussed with [Supervisor], but she isn’t available at the moment. Moreover, there looks to be a few hours that might be utilized today, I thought it could at least be mentioned. I was wondering if there were some different positions within our division that I could be trained on. That way I might be more effective as a temp during these slower periods. Also, I realize there is a large hiring underway and some of those jobs maybe filled internally, potentially leaving various temporary positions vacant. I’d like to make myself available for anything you may see fit. If you would like to meet for a few minutes to discuss, I’d welcome the opportunity. Or if this is something that [Supervisor] should handle first, I understand that as well.

P.S. All this downtime is also why I've had time to transcribe so much Eurolog lately (updated again today).

4 comments:

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Look at Robbo, taking the initiative. A go-getter! Makin' copies!

Speaking of which, turns out Rob Schneider has a bit part in The Longest Yard, Adam Sandler's new movie. In other unsurprising news, the Pope is still Catholic.

Back at my internship, if I didn't have anything to do, I read webcomics. I'm serious. I probably read the entire back catalog of three to four webcomics in my time there. And I loved it. Of course, your gig is probably a little more important, but whatever.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with that. You are going above and beyond. I am proud of you son. Mom F

Anonymous said...

Wow Overachiever-Rob! Way to go! Wish I could say the same but personally I welcome the down time that frequents my job. (almost every day haha). Wouldn't want my supervisor to realize that my job actually takes little to no effort and leaves me getting paid to do things such as read your blog.

Is that terrible?

But I do understand where you are coming from since it's only a temp job which means squat in the working world. Good luck with finding a piece of job security!

Breyn

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad Mr. Rob things around wlpp has been very slow going on four weeks now. I'm struggling to find work to do so the time can go by faster. This is not a good sign the last time we had this drought we got hit huge with the mail all at once. I'm trying to get ready for the BIG ONE.

Freemama