Friday, May 27, 2005

The Power of Words

Good title, eh? Don't know if I have adequate content to back it up, but here it goes. Today's lesson children, is on Words.

simile: Showing comparison between two thing using 'like' or 'as.
Example: "Later guys, I'm off like a prom dress."
Side Note: Australians use lots of these. Metaphors as well. My favorite phrase I ever heard from a Kiwi (New Zealander) was "I'm so hungry I could eat the testicles off a low flying duck." I don't think that qualifies as either, but its funny.

Tautology: A word or group of words that unintentionally repeats its meaning.
Example: When was the last time you entered your PIN NUMBER into the ATM MACHINE? Or longed for the PERFECT UTOPIA? Using unnecessary words can make written and spoken language a DISORGANIZED MESS, but it’s not just STUPID IDIOTS who do so. I guess a FUNNY COMIC, for instance, is “one who’s employed”; a BLACK CROW is “the outcast in those large albino flocks”; and a SURVIVING WIDOW is “the last one standing in an all-widow game of Russian roulette.”
Side Note: I'll let you think about that for a while. If you like those check out the book "Armed Gunmen, True Facts and Other Ridiculous Nonsense." It's a collection of those that Ro and I found at Barnes & Nobles one day.

synonym:
two words that can be interchanged in a context are said to be synonymous relative to that context.
Example: Nerd and Geek
Side Note: Nerd/Geek and Hot/Cute/Beautiful are conversations I've gotten into before with people. Many people use all these interchangably, but I feel they have very different meanings. I think Nerds are "Smart and a bit Socially Challenged" while Geeks are "Socially Challenged unless playing Dungeons and Dragons." Also I think Cute represents a niceness and innocence that is as much a girls personality as it is physical... Hot means she's sexually attractive... and Beautiful means they have more than their fair share of both. Once I told Ro that she should feel bad because she somehow stole some other peoples beauty at birth, and because of here there are like 10 horribly disfigured people walking out there.

5 comments:

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Yeah, I agree with those distinctions between supposed synonyms. Geeks and nerds have two totally different subcultures. And the argument about the cute/hot/beautiful hierarchy has raged for a long time among people in my circle. And I have to use totally different sets of adjectives depending on whether or not the girl is legal. (I heavily rely on only one set. Guess which one.)

I'd say that's an incredibly disturbing story that you told Ro, but it's not like she hasn't heard worse from her mom.

Anonymous said...

Ok this is way too much for my reading....... lost me on the second paragraph.... sorry negitive feedback Mom F

kimberlyb1974 said...

Ick....

I hate it when he uses those big words.

~Flunkee

Anonymous said...

simile: Showing comparison between two thing using 'like' or 'as.

Example: "Rob is, like, the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked."

Oh, and as if there wasn't enough proof out there already, I think this more than proves that our wacky neighbors to the north are a tad on the stupid side of, well, stupid:

http://www.geocities.com/vannocklebooger/gooddoggie.jpg

Anonymous said...

RO I LOVE YOU!!!!
anna