Thursday, June 23, 2005

Firestarters

So everyone says I'm a pyro. So were would be the best/worst place for me to work? Well "Rob's Job #3" may fulfill this very question. The nights that I don't work at Best Buy, I'm now working at a fireworks factory. I'll wait a moment for mom to recover.





ok.

So my best friend Lisa got me a job with her aunt and uncle, whom I've met many times, with their family business. They do all the city fireworks displays in central-southern Illinois. They do Jerseyville's displays, and Alton's including First Night. They do all sporting events, and other things as well. But to but mom a bit at ease, I don't actually "make" fireworks. We buy them from China (of course) but we put together shows and prep the fireworks where I work. We unload the truckloads and we attached electric fuses. Mainly we slice the regular fuses open and insert a special wire with a mini sparkplug at the end. We use aluminum blades and scissors to prevent possiblity of sparks, that could be caused with metal.... allegidly (apparently they've tried to ignite fuses in all sorts of ways in past, always to no avail). All saftey procautions are taken, even if there's little proof that there is a risk.

Anyways, I'm learning all sorts of awesome stuff. For example: trucks labeled "Explosive 1.4" means they're carrying the kind of fireworks you get at firework tents... bottle rockets and roman candles and such. "Explosive 1.3" means the heavy duty ones that we deal with at our place, BIG fireworks. "Explosive 1.2" is used for explosions with projectiles, like ammunition. "Explosion 1.1" is dynamite.

So that's the update. I work at Bunn in the morning, and my first real day at Best Buy tomorrow night. I'll let you know how that goes!

7 comments:

Rob said...

oh yeah, I'll get to help with the launches. I'll be expecting a motherly phonecall.

And Kimmy: I love stories about how jacked up AWR is. Please, keep venting. I miss it.

Anonymous said...

What??????????????????????? No friggin way do I want you near any type of works with fire! Are you crazy? You have so self control when it comes to playing with things that produce a a spark or a flame! What are you thinking?????? You whole entire life you have been amused by flames and sparklers and now someone is crazy enought to hire you to do that sort of thing? I need names and numbers buddy! Mom F
and yes you will get a phone call as soon as morning comes.

kimberlyb1974 said...

Uhhhhmmmmm...Robby's in trouble.....

Oh, I'll vent sure enough. There is no end in sight.

As soon as someone in management comes in to ruin my day, I'm sure I'll get a post out!

~Ventilated

Anonymous said...

So does this mean I will probably be seeing you at ITI this summer with an eye patch or a possible prosthetic limb??

I mean seriously...not only are you a pyro but "injury-prone" as well...you're in my prayers.

Breyn

Jake said...

I'm praying too...that God finally sent this opportunity for you to be wiped from the earth, answering my initial prayers!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA.

Actually, you're alrighty, and it sounds like a pretty cool job. Be careful.

Anonymous said...

wow, rob, please don't kill urself with this new job of yours. i mean, i used to think that if ur death resulted in anything work related, it would be because u have 2 jobs. now that you have three, the third involving FIRE and EXPLOSIVES... well u know the end of that. have fun working.
-Anne

Anonymous said...

rob is this new job close to SPFLD?!? cause if so I may have to move in fear of my life. you know that a safe alternative job is always TARGET~
anna